I <3 Pils Homebrew Competition
Lager season is (still!) upon us, and we’re taking full advantage. For this year’s partnered homebrew competition, we’re teaming up with the mega-talented Alex Menary of Square Brew in Goderich, ON to dig into all things European Lager. As always, we’ll be limiting the entries in this competition. Prizes will be available for up to three winners in each prize category. Escarpment Labs and BSG Canada have signed on as our prize sponsors, and we couldn't be happier! In addition to category prizes, the Best of Show winner will have the chance to recreate their brew on Square Brew's system. Interested in entering? Read on.
Entry Cost: $7 /beer
Entry and Submission Deadline: Wednesday, October 14
Closed Judging: Friday, October 16 - Sunday, October 18
Best of Show Prize: Brewing at Square Brew
We'll be using the 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines for this sanctioned competition. Only the following (sub)categories will be included; participants are welcome to enter up to one beer in each subcategory. Please note that, depending on the number of submissions, some categories may be collapsed.
3. CZECH LAGER
3a. Czech Pale Lager
3b. Czech Premium Pale Lager
3c. Czech Amber Lager
3d. Czech Dark Lager
4. PALE MALTY EUROPEAN LAGER
4a. Munich Helles
4c. Helles Bock
5. PALE BITTER EUROPEAN BEER
5a. German Leichtbier
5c. German Helles Exportbier
5d. German Pils
6. AMBER MALTY EUROPEAN LAGER
6c. Dunkles Bock
7. AMBER BITTER EUROPEAN BEER
7a. Vienna Lager
7c. Kellerbier (both Pale & Amber)
8. DARK EUROPEAN LAGER
8a. Munich Dunkel
How to Enter
As a homebrew competition, we’ll only be accepting beers brewed at a private residence by a hobbyist brewer. No commercial or brew-on-premise beers may be submitted.
Here's what you need to do to sign up:
- Pay for your entries online here, or in person at Short Finger Brewing Co.
- Wait for an e-mail from Kat that includes the I Heart Pils registration form and bottle ID tags. Please note that Kat will not send you this e-mail until payment is received.
- Fill out a copy of the registration form for each beer that you are entering, along with two bottle ID tags. Please make sure that your beer adheres to the bottle submission guidelines outlined below.
- Give us your beer! Feel free to either drop it off at Short Finger Brewing Co (20 Hurst Avenue, Kitchener) by the entry deadline or stick it in the mail to the same address (postal code is N2G 2Z7). Note: We at Short Finger are not responsible for mailed entries that do not arrive by the entry deadline, or for entries that arrive damaged.
Bottle Submission Guidelines
Participants must submit two bottles of each beer entered into the competition. Bottles must be between 330ml and 650ml in size, and must be made of brown glass. No PET or swing-top bottles, please. A completed Bottle ID tag must be attached to each bottle using a rubber band (no tape). No other visible identifiers are permitted. This includes labels, raised glass, etchings, unique caps, and ink. Please use a marker to black out any writing on the cap and be sure to remove any existing labels and glue. Note that bottles will not be returned to entrants following the competition. Bottles that do not meet the above criteria may not be accepted into the competition; refunds will not be permitted in these cases.
Interested in judging or stewarding? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. Note that judging preference will be given to individuals with the following creds: industry professionals, BJCP, Cicerone, Prud'Homme, or other significant sensory training. Folks who have entered beer into the competition are still welcome to judge, but will not be permitted to judge any category that they have entered. This extends to the BOS round. No judging credentials or experience? Consider stewarding! It’s an important role in competitions and will give you an inside look at the world of beer judging.
Stay in Touch
We look forward to hearing from you as the competition approaches. Share your progress with us through Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #iheartpils. Feel free to mention us directly: @shortfingerbrewing on Instagram and @shortfingerbeer on Twitter.
If you have any questions about the competition, please e-mail email@example.com.