Big Homebrew Competition
It’s competition time, friends. This time around, we’re teaming up with the fine folks from Barncat Artisan Ales and Escarpment Labs for one of our most eccentric lineups yet. We’re calling it Big. It is. Here are the details:
Entry Cost: $7 /beer
Entry and Submission Deadline: Saturday, April 20 at 4:00pm
Closed Judging: Saturday and Sunday, April 27 and 28
Public Awards Ceremony: Details TBD
Best of Show Prize: Brewing at Barncat Artisan Ales
We'll be using the 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines for this sanctioned competition. Only the following (sub)categories will be included; participants are welcome to enter up to one beer in each subcategory. Please note that, depending on the number of submissions, some categories may be collapsed. Others may be separated.
3 & 5. PILS(NERS)
3a. Czech Pale Lager
3b. Czech Premium Pale Lager
5d. German Pils
20. AMERICAN PORTER AND STOUT
20c. Imperial Stout
21b. Specialty IPA
22. STRONG AMERICAN ALE
22a. Double IPA
22b. American Strong Ale
22c. American Barleywine
How to Enter
As a homebrew competition, we’ll only be accepting beers brewed at a private residence by a hobbyist brewer. No commercial or brew-on-premise beers may be submitted.
Here's what you need to do to sign up:
- Pay for your entries online here, or in person at Short Finger Brewing Co.
- Wait for an e-mail from Kat that includes the Big HC registration form and bottle ID tags. Please note that Kat will not send you this e-mail until payment is received; from there, it should take no more than about 24 hours for you to receive your email.
- Fill out the registration form, including a table for each beer that you are entering, along with two bottle ID tags per submission. Please make sure that your beer adheres to the bottle submission guidelines outlined below.
- Give us your beer! Feel free to either drop it off at Short Finger Brewing Co (20 Hurst Avenue, Kitchener) by the entry deadline or stick it in the mail to the same address (postal code is N2G 2Z7). Note: We at Short Finger are not responsible for mailed entries that do not arrive by the entry deadline, or for entries that arrive damaged.
Bottle Submission Guidelines
Participants must submit two bottles of each beer entered into the competition. Bottles must be between 330ml and 650ml in size, and must be made of brown glass. No PET or swing-top bottles, please. A completed Bottle ID tag must be attached to each bottle using a rubber band. No other visible identifiers are permitted. This includes labels, raised glass, etchings, unique caps, and ink. Please use a marker to black out any writing on the cap and be sure to remove any existing labels and glue. Note that bottles will not be returned to entrants following the competition. Bottles that do not meet the above criteria may not be accepted into the competition; refunds will not be permitted in these cases.
Interested in judging or stewarding? Please e-mail email@example.com to sign up. Note that judging preference will be given to individuals with the following creds: industry professionals, BJCP, Cicerone, Prud'Homme, or other significant sensory training. Folks who have entered beer into the competition are still welcome to judge, but will not be permitted to judge any category that they have entered. This extends to the BOS round, should their beer be put forward. No judging credentials? Consider stewarding! It’s an important role in competitions and will give you an inside look at the world of judging.
Stay in Touch
We look forward to hearing from you as the competition approaches. Share your progress with us through Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #bighomebrew. Feel free to mention us directly: @shortfingerbrewing on Instagram and @shortfingerbeer on Twitter.If you have any questions about the competition, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.